SSC General Meeting, Saturday 4th April 2015, Mint Lane.

April 8th 2015, in meeting notes, combines some notes from pre-meeting about supporting scholarship at SSC.

Mint Lane, 12pm.

Apologies: Joss, Paul, Gerard, Martha, Laura.

Attending: Sarah, Lucy, Wendy, David, Peaceful, Andrew, Mike.

Previous minutes. These were agreed and matters arising were dealt with through the agenda.

Update on Know-How. Aniko’s session was widely praised. Sarah will email her for her whole thesis. Sarah will check that it is not detrimental to Aniko’s future publishing plans to have it available to SSC members only via the website.

Mike’s talk is next week and he has provided one reading for us and will circulate his own written piece shortly.

Andrew informed the group that his was personal, experimental and theoretical. He is going to talk about race in a way that might be sensitive. It is about the importance of history in research and what use it will be. He will send some materials around shortly. It is about Dachau, art and place, the Nazi’s and anti-semitism. It is a critique of Richard Evans a historian who claims it is just a case of ‘getting it right’. Andrew has chosen this over another possible talk on the interferometer, which was briefly discussed. Scholars would also like Andrew to do this session if time can be made by extending the schedule.

Martha’s reading is already circulated.

Visit updates. A summer day trip is to be planned to the London Metropolitan Archive http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-city/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/the-collections/Pages/default.aspx and The May Day Rooms http://maydayrooms.org/. Mike will organise it after Easter.

AGM and Visiting Speakers. The AGM is to be held in the Main Hall at Croft Street Community Centre. This has been booked. Tony Jeffs http://www.infed.org/writers/tony_jeffs.htm, Andrew Jackson http://www.bishopg.ac.uk/staff/Pages/andrew-jackson.aspx, Bob Cannell http://bobcannell.blogspot.co.uk/ and Keri Facer http://www.bristol.ac.uk/education/people/keri-l-facer/ have been invited to speak.

Bob Cannell is a specialist in cooperative businesses. He is associated with Suma a food-based cooperative wholesaler specialising in vegetarian, fair-trade organic food.

Keri Facer has been involved in many large projects which encourage the use of arts and technologies she is currently leading the Connected Communities Programme (www.connected-communities.org)which aims to create new relationships between communities and universities, drawing on arts and humanities perspectives and methods to enable new forms of knowledge production to address urgent contemporary issues.

Tony Jeffs is a specialist in informal education from Durham. He has made a donation and has offered to put himself up but David will ask him if he wants to stay at Andrew’s instead.

Andrew Jackson is interested in the history of working class education and has done work around early 20th century Lincolnshire. He is on the SSC mailing list.

The room for the AGM is hired between 10.30 and 4.30. There is a plan to bring food to share. The poster is ready but it will not be completed until all the speakers have confirmed. Once this has happened there will be a group walk to fly-post.

There was a suggestion that we should have tea after the AGM at 4.30.

Discussion to support scholars. Sarah and Lucy had met for an hour before the General Meeting to begin discussing possibilities for sessions to support scholars to engage in the sessions run by the SSC. At the moment the priority is to support people to engage with Know How but shorter and longer term aims were discussed at the pre-meeting between Sarah and Lucy and Sarah outlined these. Basically they involved two sets of actions and ideas, one around theory and the other around supporting scholarship skills.

Theory: Longer term ideas and plans were about supporting scholars to engage with key theoretical ideas that they were unfamiliar with andor that they wanted to engage with to enhancedeepen their existing understanding of. It was suggested we should do this with a series of workshops that not only explored the concepts and but also creatively engaged with how different pedagogical ‘dialogues’ and relationships could be engaged with. In addition the issue of childcare should be addressed.

At the pre-meeting specific theoretical ideas were discussed: Marx and the traditions that have built on Marxist thinking, Freire, Bell Hooks, C.Wright Mills, Freidan, Rowbotham and other Feminists. Also a list of concepts: gender, race, age, ethnicity, sexuality, disability; the media and young people, etc. The theoretical ideas were discussed and they were generally well received by those at the meeting and people were keen to get involved. The concepts were not discussed but are noted here for reference purposes.

We also discussed (at the pre-meeting and the general meeting) more creative pedagogies: using images, films, books, painting, knitting etc. as ways of changing both the forms of engagement with concepts and the relationships between participants in workshops. Steam Punk, the RSA drawings by Ken Robinson were also discussed. The idea of running a session at SSC during the Steam Punk Festival was raised.

As part of this attempt to engage with ideas more creatively Lucy will draft an email to Ben Goldacre http://www.badscience.net/about-dr-ben-goldacre/ who wrote a book called Bad Science that Lucy has read. She will write on behalf of the SSC. The draft will be circulated for comments. The plans for the workshops will be developed by those who want to be involved towards the summer months.

Scholarship skills: At the pre-meeting a list was drawn-up for a regular class which should support scholars to develop the skills they need to engage effectively with the courses run by the SSC. The following list was discussed: how do you evaluate different pieces of work; how do you do academic writing; how do you get an idea out of your head and onto paper; what does it mean to work together; and how do you critique. The SSC general meeting agreed a course should be designed for next year. This will take place over the summer. A welcome pack will be developed as part of this. However short-term plans are also needed for Know How.

Short term plans to support scholarship and theoreticalconceptual material of Know How: It was agreed that a one hour session would be run before Know How every 2 weeks. This would focus on exploring concepts associated with that evening’s session. The first meeting would be on the 9th April. Sarah is to circulate notes and book room. Then those who participate will review and plan forward.

AOB: a) Rent. Over £100 rent is due. Mike will pay it and then liaise with Stephen Hopkins.

b) Coordinator role. This will be discussed when Laura is present.

Minutes from meeting 14th June 2014

Social Science Centre – Planning Meeting 14th June 2014

Present: Wendy, Laura, Joss, Stephen, David, Sarah, Mike, Andrew, Gary, Tim

Apologies: Vernon, Gerald

Chair: Sarah

Notes: Mike

Matters Arising

Wendy to do podcast on Keri Facer’s Co-operative paper in an interview with Richard Keeble

Andrew to take on role of Secretary as agreed at AGM. This involves:

  • Electronic communication – managing emails, website and calendar up to date
  • Membership – welcome and add to relevant mailing lists
  • First point of contact – for information about meetings, events

Other duties could include:

  • Organisation of meetings
  • Provision of agenda
  • Minutes up to date and signed off
  • Answering all correspondence, and bringing relevant issues to the meeting

Web

Joss to continue looking after the Web, with support from Tim, who will learn from Joss so he can take on the role at a later date

Chair

Chair of meetings: It was agreed to have rolling chair for planning meetings, to be arranged alphabetically

Equalities Act

Discussed our liabilities in terms of Equalities Act and the need for a process to be able to offer scholars support for their special or additional needs. Our course materials could ask people about their educational needs, and an awareness of our responsibilities should be included in our publicity documentation and on the website.

Liability Insurance

Mike to bring recently renewed insurance documentation to the next meeting to review so we can be clear as about the details of our insurance cover in terms of professional indemnity and public liability.

Membership

We discussed the need to be much clearer about membership policy. Joss to bring a paper to the July meeting setting out the options for us to decide.

Democratic Decision Making

Gary and Sarah to write a briefing paper on democratic decision making to be discussed at next meeting.

Working Group on Childcare

Gary and Sarah to bring some proposals on child care to next meeting for discussion.

SSC Business Plan

SSC business plan to be reviewed to make sure it fits with our current activities. This document could include details with regard to our professional indemnity and membership rules and regulations. This can then be sent to new members when they join. Mike to co-ordinate the review of this document to be looked at next meeting.

Planning for next year:

Curriculum planning day to be organised in July to look at programmes for next year. Sarah will circulate the original curriculum development documents. Scholars are encouraged to offer other provision based n their own expertise, e.g. Criminology, as well as establishing events that link to public debates in the city. Our Place Our Priorities acknowledged as key part of SSC provision, providing a way in for people who may not have considered HE.

Premises

It was agreed that we ask to become clients of Lincoln Share space, keeping eyes open for other suitable premises. Joss to enquire around city with estate agents.

Reimagine the University

SSC invited to attend conference and make presentation at conference at University of Gloucester on Reimagining the University. Joss to attend.

Royal Geographic Society

Fees waived at RGS conference for non-waged member of SSC to present paper on SSC. Registration needs to be confirmed.

New Book on Social Class and HE

Members reminded of invitation to contribute to new book to be published BSA with Mike Ward,’ New Writings on Social Class and HE’

AOB

Sarah thanked for the quality of the paper work which facilitated a well structured and productive meeting.

 

Meeting date moved. Exhibition still on

A number of scholars are unable to make our usual first Saturday of the month meeting tomorrow, so we have postponed the meeting until next Saturday 14th June. It will be held at ‘Lincoln Share’, the building that used to be the ‘Big Wok’ on Beaumont Fee, Lincoln [map]. Lincoln Share is an initiative to provide space for a number of co-operative projects and we will use the time of the meeting to get a feel for the space and decide how we want to be involved.

Also, a reminder that our joint project with the Pathways Centre, Our Place, Our Priorities, is still exhibiting at the Central Lincoln Library on Free School Lane [map]. Do come along if you can. It’s free to enter.

 

Notes from April 5th meeting

Held at Vida Vintage (108 Monks Road, Lincoln)

Present: David, Lucy, Sarah, Andrew, Paul, Gary, Mike, Joss, Peaceful, Wendy

Apologies: Laura, Alan

Agenda

1. Discussion of SSI course

Peaceful Warrior: ‘It’s bloody amazing’ – one of the greatest learning experiences I’ve had.

Leading next week’s class – Paul and Joss to send something by tomorrow

How are we going to organise the evaluation? Gary, Sarah, Wendy – leave time to plan for next term (original idea – break + workshops for doing independent work; possibility of people creating other classes, activities, etc.)

2. Discussion of Our Place, Our Priorities

12 images are now finished and displayed at Pathways, bid now in for duplicate set of prints that can be exhibited around the city (first in the community exhibition space in the central Library) to raise awareness of the work being done by framework. Andrew Wingell and David are now working on ‘Inflection Point’ as a project on transition from being homeless to present life.

Vernon Goddard produced a collection of Poetry (Word in Edgeways) with Development Plus; there were six workshops that led to this body of work.

Lucy and Ollie are now working on an art project, running an arts award for clients to run some workshops to work with people, and looking for creative workers and artists to help.

The Ritual Significance exhibition is going up at The Collection, on an evolutionary perspective on contemporary art; David has been invited to Liverpool to speak about this in connection with the Social Science Centre. Materials on David’s learning blog under PhD research.

Projects – Charlotte Lee (PhD from Durham University who is interested in doing some research around activist work, has submitted a bid to Antipode journal; using what we have learnt in the SSC in order to set something up in Durham, e.g. ‘transitions university’; if bid was accepted, Transitions Durham and SSC would both receive £5000. David said similar sorts of conversations were happening with Liverpool University and Pro-Social Place conference.

3. Anti-oppressive practice

Sarah and Gary to send email around to others – part of summer activities (e.g. in commons, in orchard, Arboretum; mapping, chairs)

4. SSC conference – ‘Co-operation and Higher Education’

April 26, 2014

32 people are registered; about half are coming on Friday, will arrange to meet at Café Portico near The Collection

Venue is booked, we have a timetable for the day, Laura is organising food (evening meal at Café Portico will be voluntary contributions with the SSC picking up anything outside of that, and lunch on Saturday is going to be provided but people will have to buy it if they want it)

Need to make sure there is veggie and wheat-free at dinner and lunch – email Laura

We have offered a guided tour prior to the conference starting on Saturday – 9:30–11:00 tour or lecture with Alan Lincoln (historian) around Lincoln; David and Joss will meet next week to plan this.

10:30–11:00 Arrival in foyer at The Collection; Mike and Peaceful on the desk for registration
11:00–11:30 Conference welcome; Paul
11:30–12:00 Papers and presentations (15 minutes each; Joss will organise)
12:30–1:00 Lunch
1:00–2:30 ‘Reflecting on three years of the SSC’
2:00–2:40 Existing work, projects and practices (retrospective)
2:40–3:00 Tea
3:00–3:40 Aspirations and objectives
3:40–4:30 Discussion, conclusions, next steps

Framings

• Developing, pushing on, supporting people who want to do it?

• National co-operative university, not making much progress, how to push on?

• Where people are, whether co-operative education and principles means anything; tease out a state of things – what does what we learned about what people are doing say about the possibilities or limitations of a co-operative movement in higher education?

Will be a further meeting of the conference committee with Lucy, Laura, Mike and Joss

5. SirenFM

Richard Keeble has been recording 15-minutes podcasts where 2 SSC scholars talk about a theme, and has offered to record another. Lucy and Wendy will do the next one, and Vernon and David will do another.

6. Paper for Royal Geographic Society conference (end of August)

A paper has been accepted under a strand around alternative education projects. We now need to think about writing a paper from the current SSI course and decide how we should present it. Gary submitted another paper and is going to the conference anyway, but it would be a good experience for someone who hasn’t done it before.

Will check funds after the conference and then discuss who will write and present.

7. Accommodation – Big Wok – ‘Lincolnshare’

There is a possibility to be part of a new space being taken over by seven groups including Revival, Hackspace, Abundant Earth, General Practice (arts group), a therapist group and others. It may be possible to occupy the Big Wok (next to Pathways) for no/low rent and make a contribution towards the rates. Peaceful now has keys to use the space for storage, but we wouldn’t be able to go in and clean it up until contracts are arranged. Landlords would have to give one month’s notice to vacate.

This could be a home for an SSC reading room? Agreed that we should explore further, with some caution as it would be a shame to invest a lot of time, energy and money into a space that will be taken away. Is having a ‘squatter’s mentality’ enough?

8. Date for AGM

May 24th, 12–3pm, venue to be confirmed

Check how many children might be coming along – ask for people to confirm via email; Wendy will then be able to organise care and activities if they are needed.

9. Mobile Seminar Room – chair decorating

At David’s house, decorating 14 donated chairs. David has begun discussing spaces for mobile seminars with groups.

Sunday, May 11th?

10. Other Business

a. Money

In David’s case, money received for work with SSC has not come into SSC accounts, so has not raised issues. If we consider receiving grants or accepting money into the account (e.g., philanthropic, state funding, etc.), what principles do we have for these relationships, what ethical and political checks do we have in place? At what point would we become liable for tax?

David – relationship with Framework is reciprocal; if we could foster those sorts of non-monetarised exchanges, this would be good.

Perhaps ‘money’ is another activity for the summer – have a seminar combining some reading around money (e.g. Mike Neary and Graham Taylor’s book or parts thereof), to inform a discussion about how the SSC makes judgments about money (that we contribute/use and that we may receive from or exchange with others).

b. Possible summer activities (will discuss further at the final SSI class)

Anti-oppressive practice
Money and co-operative education/research
Open access, including academic journals